Friday, February 10, 2012

From mirror to chalkboard

The other day I was at the local Thrift Store and I stumbled upon this beauty.



 I already have way too many mirrors in my house...but I couldn't pass up this price.


I felt that it needed a good home

. . . . . . .


I've been wanting a chalkboard. 
So on the way home I stopped by Hobby Lobby and picked up a can of chalkboard spray paint




I painted the wood frame white and then sprayed the mirror with black chalkboard paint.

And now I have a fun new chalkboard



After everything was finished, I was so excited to finally write something.

I thought I would start out with this fun quote...


Well...if you ZOOM in, you'll see how true this quote actually is. 


Minutes after I finished writing, Jack (my 1 year old son) came up 
and starting rubbing his little fingers all over the part of the board he could reach...


My first thought was: "Oh. No"
and then I had to smile because I looked up and read what I had just wrote.

(how very appropriate. haha)







I also spotted this wooden initial at Hobby Lobby for only $1.99



I already had the paint and ribbon, so this was an easy and inexpensive project





8 comments:

  1. Dana, I love this!!! And I LOVE that you have a blog! :) Its such a great way to capture these "moments" of our lives! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! Your blog is really fun...glad I found it!!

      Delete
  2. Saw this on Pinterest. I wanted to know how well the chalkboard paint is holding up? I wanted to do something like this, but wasn't sure if the paint would scratch off at all. Thanks, and your mirror chalkboard is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! Thanks for your comment. Yes! The chalkboard paint has held up very well. I made the board over a year ago and just recently I decided to add another coat of paint to freshen it up a bit. Instead of using spray paint, this time I used Rust-Oleum brush on chalkboard paint (I now like it better than the spray). I bought it on amazon, here's the link:

      http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-206540-Chalkboard-Brush-On-30-Ounce/dp/B0006BAEI6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_sDgurb1YVQCHT_tt

      Hope this helps :)

      Delete
    2. What kind of paint did you use on the wood frame?

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dana,
    We are doing renovations to our home as we prepare to sell it. I am going to do what you did, I'm turning a dining room mirror into a chalkboard for the kitchen wall. Yours looks fantastic. I am wondering if you have had any problems with the chalkboard since? How is the coating holding up? I have read other sites and they recommend a coat of primer and 3 coats of chalkboard paint. UGG. Sounds like a lot of work to me. I am wondering what process you used. How many coats did you put on the mirror? Did you put it on the glass side? Did you prime. Is it holding up good for you? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated Dana.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks so much.
    Darlene
    Nova Scotia

    ReplyDelete